Emerald Library opening plaque

Opening Ceremony plaque Transcription Emerald Library / was officially opened by / the Hon. Candy Broad MLC / Minister for Local Government / In attendance / Cr William B Ronald, JP, Mayor / Cardinia Shire Council / July 27th 2006 / with financial assistance from the Victorian Government / in partnership with Cardinia Shire Council…. Read More

Cardinia Recreation Reserve

On Friday 17 October 1947, ladies paid 2/6d (25c) and gentlemen paid an extra 6d (5c) to attend a Grand Opening Ball at the Cardinia Hall to mark the official opening of the Cardinia Recreation Reserve. Reference: Look to the rising sun, back to Cardinia 1984: a history of Cardinia and district, including Rythdale and… Read More

GWS Anderson Scout Camp

George William Strachan Anderson (1889-1951) was the Chief Commissioner of the Boy Scouts Association, Victoria from 1937 until his death on 19 July 1951. GWS Anderson’s scouting career began in 1926 when he started a Troop at Malvern. In 1928 GWS Anderson, together with 4 others purchased the Malvern District Camp at Officer. The name… Read More

Cardinia Presbyterian Church

Foundation Stone Transcription This stone was laid / to the glory of God / by Walter Duff Esq JP / on the 23 of October 1915. Minister Rev. F Butchers Garden stone plaque Transcription To the glory of God / in memory of past guild / and / congregation members / dedicated / October 9,… Read More

Beaconsfield Avenue of Honour

Transcription (Plaque 1) Beaconsfield Avenue of Honour 1914-1918 In 1928 Beaconsfield Progress Association applied to the Country Roads Board to plant the / Avenue and funding was provided by Ada Armytage. Black poplar trees were planted in 1929 / to honour the 65 servicemen from Beaconsfield and district who served in World War 1. /… Read More

Bryn Mawr Boulevard Bridge

  Opening Ceremony plaque Transcription Australian Government Bryn Mawr Boulevard Bridge / An AusLink Strategic Regional Project / Funded by the Australian Government Officially opened 10 July 2007 by / Mr Jason Wood MP / Federal Member for La Trobe / and / Cr Colin Butler / Mayor of the City of Casey  

Henty Lily Pond

  Originally part of the Pakenham Park property owned by J Reg. Henty (James Reginald Henty).  Described as a progressive farmer, Reg Henty had the pond dug c1900 in order to diversify and increase the property’s income. Reference: Cardinia Shire Heritage Study Vol 3 by Graeme Butler & Associates.  

Berwick and District Agricultural & Horticultural Society Inc.

Presidents and Secretaries Honour Board *split into 2 parts left to right Transcription Berwick & District / Agricultural & Horticultural Society Inc. / Formerly: / Mornington Farmers Society President 1856-92 W Lyall 1922-23 FC Curtis 1966-67 LA Moran A Paterson 1923-24 W Hill 1967-68 M Bashford J Buchanan 1924-25 W Gamble 1968-69 EF Barker J… Read More

Akoonah Park

Akoonah Park was orginally called the New Berwick Showgrounds and Recreation Reserve but in 1959 Cr CA Harris of the Shire of Berwick suggested the name be changed to Akoonah Park. Akoonah is an Aboriginal word for ‘running waters’ which are just beside the park in the form of the Cardinia Creek. Terence O’Connor took up… Read More

Coronel Wetlands

Coronel Wetlands plaque Transcription Coronel Wetlands / was officially opened by / Councillor Graeme Legge / Mayor Cardinia Shire Council / on / August 11th 2000