Sidney Webb

Two plaques commemorate the planting of Narrre Warren’s iconic avenue of oak trees in 1890 by Sidney Webb on this corner. One marks the planting itself, the other, the centenary of the planting. Sidney John Webb (c1844-1920) was the publisher of the Age, Leader and Australian newspapers beforee retiring to the Hotham and West Melbourne Newsagency…. Read More

Buchanan Park

  Buchanan Park This park is named for James Buchanan (1827-1914) who was a prominent early settler in Berwick. He was a  founder and trustee of the Berwick Presbyterian Church and the Mornington Farmers Society. Member of the Berwick District Road Board and the Berwick Shire Council. MLC for the South Eastern Province from 1876… Read More

Beaconsfield Street Signage

Janet Bowman Boulevard Janet Bowman was born Janet (Jessie) Watt in Forfarshire, Scotland in 1810. She married David Bowman also from Forfarshire in 1828 and the couple and their two children, Alexander and William arrived in Port Phillip in 1840. The family first settled in Collingwood then moved to Darebin Creek, Lysterfield and finally to Cardinia… Read More

Bowman’s Track Estate

The Bowman’s Track Estate is named after the track cut by Janet Bowman and her sons in 1864 from the Gippsland Hotel (on the site of the Central Hotel) in Beaconsfield, linking to the Hughes Track to the Jordan Goldfields (Jericho). The track became known as Bowman’s Track. In April 1988 a reunion for Bowman… Read More

Yannathan Public Hall

Yannathan Hall World War 1 Honour Board Transcription Yannathan / 1914-1918 Roll of Honor / “They heard the Call.” Harold Gardiner / *Wm. Dunbar Watson / Mark Ridgway / Gordon Burton / *Alexander Denney / George Robertson / Hy. Thompson / Alexr. O’Rourke / Powley Denney / *Thos. Kelly / Wm. Kelly / Len Greaves… Read More

Brechin Gardens

Brechin Gardens Plaque Transcription ‘Brechin Gardens’ (once part of the farm ‘Holly Green’) was first / owned by Gippsland pioneer Thomas Walton. Walton built the original / house in 1855 and some of the garden is thought to date from this time. Businessman Sidney J Webb was the new owner in around 1880. In /… Read More

Terence O’Connor Reserve

Born c1799 in County Kerry,Ireland, Terence O’Connor is believed by many to be the first European settler in the Berwick district, holding the Cardinia Creek run from 1838 until 1851. Following the sale of the Cardinia Creek run to Captain Robert Gardiner, O’Connor built The Meadows at the end of Thompsons Road, Cranbourne which remained… Read More

J Reg Henty Memorial

James Reginald Henty was the son of Thomas and Charlotte Henty (nee Carter). James inherited the property on his father’s death and remained there until he, himself died. A Berwick Shire Councillor and Shire President in 1913 to 1914. This boulder marks the place where J Reg Henty’s ashes were scattered after his death. Reference:… Read More