In 1890 Mr Sidney J. Webb donated land from his farm “Holly Green” for a Mechanics Institute. The original building was funded by donations and collections from well known local identities. By December 1890 it was noted in records that the equivalent of $286.50 was received from donations and a further $455.20 was receipted from “entertainment”. The total cost of the hall was $769.50. The hall was opened in 1891.
Additions to the hall were proposed in 1898 at a cost of $350. Further extensions, the kitchen, foyer and meeting room were started in June 1899 and completed on October 1899.
From 1892 to 1898 over $1,000 was spent on books, most of them technical. Beginning with just 990 books in 1898 to well over 2000 in the library by 1905. Bookshelves stretched from the floor to the ceiling on every wall. A new floor was laid in 1938 and water was laid in 1968.
Over that period hall activities included Church services, lectures, drama, singing lessons, elections, picture shows, dances, a gun club, CWA, Soldiers farewell, Dept of the Army Voluntary defence corps, Soldiers welcome home.
In 2013 the Hall is well maintained and in keeping with its original objective. It is operated as a Community facility and used for numerous recreational activities, Youth and Migrant education and for family functions on weekends.
Judith Allen Memorial Tree

Judith Allen performed a mix of paid and volunteer work at the Narre Warren Mechanics Institute Hall over a period of thirty plus years, including serving on the Committee of Management. Sadly, Judith passed away in 2012 and the Committee of Management decided to honour Judith and her many years of dedicated service to the Narre Warren Mechanics Institute Hall by planting a tree in her honour. To date the tree is not marked by a plaque
Reference: Russell and Judy Owen, Narre Warren Mechanics Institute Hall Committee of Management.
[property_details details=”1″]
Narre Warren VIC 3805, Australia

Leave a Reply