Brechin Gardens Plaque
Transcription
‘Brechin Gardens’ (once part of the farm ‘Holly Green’) was first / owned by Gippsland pioneer Thomas Walton. Walton built the original / house in 1855 and some of the garden is thought to date from this time.
Businessman Sidney J Webb was the new owner in around 1880. In / 1890, Webb planted the row of oak trees along Princes Highway (National Trust classified), obtained from the Nobelius Nursery in Gembrook, Webb / Street is named in his honour, because he helped begin the Narre Warren / Mechanic’s Institute, the school and railway station.
John Lloyd took over the farm in the 1930’s and replaced the original / buildings with a new home called ‘Brechin’. Lloyd probably planted the / Pin Oaks and rose garden (now relocated). ‘Brechin’ was bought by the / Overland Development Corporation in 1988 and later demolished.
‘Brechin Gardens’ is of regional significance to this district because it has / associations with prominent members of Casey’s past; contains plant species rare to the area and collectively has historical, aesthetic / and botanic significance within the region.







Address: Brechin Drive, Fountain Gate
Surveyed on: 28 December 2011
Surveyed by: Steven

Leave a Reply